Lotto Results

Upcoming Events

Join us on Facebook:
Borris-Ileigh GAA
Borris-Ileigh Camogie

Borris-Ileigh V Burgess 27/04/2014

Borris travelled to Nenagh on Sunday last to take on Burgess in round 2 of the county championship. After suffering a 5 point loss to Drom-Inch in round 1, Borris faced into a game knowing that some form o f positive result would have to be achieved. Without the suspended Paddy Stapleton, Jody Harkin was included in the first 15 at midfield, with Seamus Burke dropping back to wing back. Jack Hogan also started at corner forward instead of Matthew Stapleton. The game opened brightly with both teams exchanging 4 points apiece in the opening 8 minutes. 3 frees from an accurate David O Connor and 1 from play from Dan McCormack matching the early Burgess haul. A long ball then from Seamus Burke found its way to the hand of David O Connor who powered passed his man and left Niall McGrath with little chance of stopping the well struck effort. The goal was to give Borris the kick they needed and further stretched their lead with points from Dan McCormack, David O Connor, Brendan Maher and Conor Kenny to leave the half time score at Borris 1-08 Bugess 0-06. Matthew Stapleton was soon introduced after the injured Seamus Burke left the field with a bad hand injury and his response was immediate popping over a fine effort. Two Brendan Maher frees and a further score from Stapleton looked to have put Borris in a comfortable lead of 7 points with 15 minutes remaining. However it was at this point that Burgess would get the lifeline they deserved when Stephan Murray blasted to the net from a 21 yard free. The goal lifted Burgess and put Borris on the back foot. Another Maher free and a good Conor Kenny point settled Borris again but Burgess were not for lying down. A long clearance from Donagh Maher who was beginning to dominate at centre back broke the Borris defence and Burgess found the net for the second time in the game. Both teams now went to chance the game and by the 30th minute the scores were level. Deep into injury time Dan McCormack collected the ball at the half way mark and gave what looked like was a last gasp winner for Borris. Burgess again refused to wilt and as the play looked to have broken down on the Borris half back line, Donagh Maher managed to root out the sliothar and took his score from a tight angle. There was to be no more action as Ger Fitzpatrick’s whistle brought the game to a close. The final score standing at Borris 1-16 Burgess 2-13

Team: Jack Bourke, Martin Treacy, Philip Maher, Sean Maher, Seamus Burke, Martin Maher, Thomas Fahy, Jody Harkin, Brendan Maher(0-4,4f), Sean McCormack, Dan McCormack(0-3), Keith Ryan, Jack Hogan, Conor Kenny(0-2), David O Connor(0-4,4f). Subs-Matthew Stapleton(0-3) for Seamus Burke(33rd min). Aidan Cowan for Jody Harkin(41st min). Keiran Maher for Keith Ryan(44th min). Benny Harkin for Jack Hogan(54th min)