Lotto Results

Upcoming Events

Join us on Facebook:
Borris-Ileigh GAA
Borris-Ileigh Camogie

Borris-ileigh V Silvermines 16/06/2013

On Sunday afternoon we took on Silvermines in the north semi final. As patrons made their way to Nenagh there was much anticipation as to what the Borris line up would be and how we would fare against an in form Mines team while we were missing a number of key players. As the early stages of the game passed it looked well for Borris, who came out of the traps strongly and played with fast paced intensity and aggression. They had 4 points on the board, all from placed balls-1 from Conor Kenny and 3 from Brendan Maher, after 10 minutes. William Donnelly was forced to withdraw after 18 minutes with a broken thumb and was replaced by Benny Harkin. Conor Kenny, Keith Ryan and Benny Harkin all chipped in with points to push us to a 10 points to 4 lead heading towards half time with Borris looking like they would dominate the remainder of the game. Indeed, they were unlucky not to have stretched the lead by more as only the width of the post saved the ‘Mines from a good Mark Bourke goal effort. However the reigning North and Munster Intermediate champions were not in the form to lie down and 2 frees from Jason Forde, who had been completely marked out of the game by the excellent Paddy Stapleton, left only four points in it and half time.  It was to prove very costly to Borris as the Mines came out in the second half with their tails up and turned a 4 point deficit into a strong lead. 6 points to a solitary Borris effort in the first 10 minutes of the second half set up a bridge than would be too far for our men to overcome for the remainder of the game. Silvermines now had the impetus and with the Jason Forde giving a master class in placed ball striking including 3 fabulous pointed sideline cuts the Mines closed the game out. A late rally from Borris saw just the minimum between the sides and it looked as if we may steal it with two goal chances at the death from Brendan Maher and Kieran Maher but the Mines defence stood strong and saw them qualify for their first senior north final since 1974.

It was a game that we could have won, with ample chances to close out the game. 11 wides were very costly and improved shooting will be needed to progress further in the championship. There were many positives too from the game with a fantastic display from our back men and good aggression and heart shown throughout the team. Our interest in the north is now over for another year and our attention turns to the county championship where we will take on JK Brackens on Friday evening. Though we have been defeated we will pick ourselves up and dust ourselves off and refocus on the tasks ahead. Hard luck to all involved and best of luck in the next round

The team was as follows:

Jack Bourke, Martin Treacy, Rory Kinane, Sean Maher, Thomas Fahy, Philip Maher, Paddy Stapleton, Jody Harkin, Sean McCormack, Brendan Maher, Conor Kenny, William Donnelly, Mark Bourke, Aidan Cowan, Keith Ryan. Subs-Benny Harkin for William Donnelly(18th). Declan Maher for Aidan Cowan(ht). Kieran Maher for Jody Harkin(52nd)


Brendan Maher 0-09(all frees), Conor Kenny 0-02(1 free), Benny Harkin 0-02, Keith Ryan 0-01, Mark Bourke 0-01