Lotto Results

Upcoming Events

Join us on Facebook:
Borris-Ileigh GAA
Borris-Ileigh Camogie

Borris-Ileigh V JK Brackens 21/06/2013

Borris-Ileigh and JK Brackens both made the short trip to The Ragg for round 2 of the county championship last Friday night the 21st. The two sides last met in the championship under lights in Semple Stadium in the county qualifiers in 2011 where Borris prevailed after a strong Brackens performance. Both sides were shorn of players, and some of those who started were carrying various knocks. Brackens were without the suspended Lorcan Egan, county minor Colin O Riordan did not line out while the Keith Kennedy and Eoin Fitzpatrick were injured and in America respectively. Borris had a late change to their goalkeeping position as long term keeper Jody Harkin filled in for Jack Bourke who had received an injury just hours before the game. Martin Maher was also suspended while Dan McCormack, Vinny Stapleton and David O Connor are in the United States for the summer. Despite the many absentees both teams line out with strong 15s.

The game was barely a minute old when Brendan Maher was hauled down in front of the goals and despite the numerous white jerseys on the line he blasted the ball to the back of the net from the resulting free. A great start for Borris which left Brackens with a lot of work to do from early on. Borris opened up a comfortable 6 point lead by the 11 minute mark with 2 more Brendan Maher frees and points from Mark Bourke and Benny Harkin, Shane Bourke with the solitary Brackens response. Shane Bourke’s point would be their last from play in the half, they would point 3 frees but the Borris tally would leave a near insurmountable lead by the half time whistle. One of the moves of the match came on the 14th minute when Sean McCormack received the ball and pinged a pass to Kieran Maher, who was making his first championship start and just 5 days after his debut. The 16 year old weave through the Brackens defence at his ease and rattled the net behind David Bourke. Further points from Brendan Maher(2) and Mark Bourke added to the Brackens woe before Keith Ryan tapped in for goal number three after a long ball from Thomas Fahy broke in the square where Ryan was quickest to pounce. By the time referee Phil Ryan blew his whistle to bring the first half to a close the score board read Borris-Ileigh 3-09 JK Brackens 0-04. A 14 point lead would prove a gap too wide for the Brackens to close. Despite 2 great scores from Shane Bourke, Borris continued to twist the screw matching any points from the Templemore men with ease. By the 9th minute the contest was no more as Conor Kenny rasped a shot to the back of the net after being well set up by the every influential Brendan Maher. From here Brackens would only register 2 more points while Borris would add another 1-06 in an extremely aggressive and confident manner. Thomas Fahy, Seamus Burke, Sean McCormack, Conor Kenny and Benny Harkin would all raise white flags in the second half while Brendan Maher chipped in with another 4 frees. The ruthless finishing shown by Borris wouldn’t relent as Kieran Maher was to get his second goal to cap off a fine performance. A surging run by Conor Kenny was complimented by great movement from the youngster who finished with aplomb after receiving the pass. The goal saw all life seep out of the game with just 3 points scored in the final 10 minutes between the two teams. The game finished Borris-Ileigh 5-18 JK Brackens 0-09.

Just 5 days after bowing out of the north championship in disappointing form, Borris bounced back in great style, albeit against a weak JK Brackens side. A score of 5-18 was great finishing and a mere 7 wides bodes well for the forward line, who when click, show some true class. A very efficient display from the Borris backs saw JK Brackens score just 4 points from play. Brackens will be extremely disappointed with this result especially after pushing Borris all the way less than 2 years ago. Borris can look to a number of players and a number of aspects to thank for this result. Number 7-15 all scored from play. Brendan Maher  scored 9 of 10 placed balls, Kieran Maher scored 2 lovely goals while Conor Kenny chipped in with 1-1 and setting up a further 1-3. All in all, a fine display of hurling from Borris. They await the draw for the next round and will surely have put the Silvermines defeat out to grass after this very solid and controlled win


Jody Harkin, Martin Treacy, Rory Kinane, Sean Maher, Paddy Stapleton, Philip Maher, Thomas Fahy, Sean McCormack, Seamus Burke, Keith Ryan, Brendan Maher, Mark Bourke, Kieran Maher,Conor Kenny, Benny Harkin. Subs: Aidan Cowan for Paddy Stapleton-47th minute.

Scores: Brendan Maher: 1-10(1-8 from frees). Kieran Maher: 2-0. Conor Kenny: 1-1. Keith Ryan: 1-0. Mark Bourke: 0-2. Benny Harkin: 0-2. Sean McCormack: 0-1. Seamus Burke: 0-1. Thomas Fahy: 0-1